Skip to main content
Brussels Capital-Region - Homepage

Separation and divorce

To ensure that everyone’s rights are respected, a number of formalities need to be completed before you can start separation or divorce proceedings.

notary profession’s website External (FR/NL) has information on all forms of separation under Belgian law and can be a major source of help. Divorce is the competence of the courts. The commune’s only involvement is through the Service de l'Etat civil (General Registrar’s Office), which transcribes the decree of divorce it receives from the clerk of the court.

  • You should contact the Service de l'Etat civil (General Registrar’s Office) in your commune about the administrative formalities that go with separation and divorce.
  • You can ask for a divorce certificate to the commune of your marriage via External linkIRISbox, the online service desk of the administrations of the Brussels-Capital Region.