Skip to main content
Brussels Capital-Region - Homepage

Death formalities

The death of a loved one can be painful, but a number of formalities do nevertheless have to be completed. The undertaker will take care of most of them, but you will have to complete a few of them in person at the commune.

Death certificate and burial permit

Before you can hold a funeral, you must notify the commune of the death as soon as possible, to get a burial permit. This is issued by the Officier de l'Etat civil (General Registrar) of the commune that receives the death certificate, i.e. the one in which the death occurs.

This notification must occur within 24 hours of the declaration of death by the same doctor who determines the time and cause of death.

The General Registrar’s Office in the commune in which the death occurs must be notified of the death by two persons of legal majority. These may be relations of the deceased, although the undertaker can also do this. These persons must visit the General Registrar’s Office with the deceased person’s identity card, marriage certificate and any other document that supports their claim (such as the marriage register of the deceased person’s parents). Any affidavit containing the deceased person’s last will should also be produced.

The family or the undertaker should also visit the communal authorities to set the burial date.

The communal authorities can provide information on what to do in the event of the death of a loved one. Contact your commune.