Skip to main content
Brussels Capital-Region - Homepage

Working for yourself

You are self-employed if you are employed but not on the basis of an employment contract or, in the case of public officials, a statute.

As a one-person business you are responsible for your own social security and finances.

Primary or secondary activity

You can register as self-employed as your main activity (if you do not work in any other capacity) or as your secondary activity (if you also have paid employment). Your social security contributions and rights depend on which status applies to you.

To find out more about starting a business see the Doing business in Brussels pages.

Professional card for foreign nationals

The External linkprofessional card for foreign nationals allows them to work as self-employed professionals in Belgium.

Contact us

National Institute for the Social Security of the Self-employed (NISSE)

Boulevard de Waterloo, 77
1000 Brussels

Contact us

FPS Employment, Labour and Social Dialogue

Rue Ernest Blerot, 1
1070 Brussels

Contact us

FPS Economy, SMEs, the Self-employed and Energy

Contact Center Rue du Progrès, 50
1210 Brussels