Information for disabled persons
- The Federal Public Service Social Security’s Disabled Persons Directorate General (Direction générale Personnes handicapées) is mainly responsible for the award of allowances and benefits to disabled adults. It also issues certificates asserting their rights to social and tax benefits.
Centre administratif Botanique
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 50 - b. 150, 1000 Brussels
Call Center: 0800 987 99
Contact: handicap.belgium.be/fr/contact/formulaire-de-contact.htm (FR/NL)
Online: handicap.belgium.be (FR/NL)
- On the website of the Common Community Commission you can find the assistance services for disabled persons (reception, accommodation, ...) in Brussels (FR/NL).
For French speakers
- The Brussels Phare (Personne Handicapée Autonomie Recherchée) service is a directorate of the French Community Commission. It provides information, orientation, help and support to disabled people in the Brussels-Capital Region.
Who is Phare for? Anyone under 65 years old living in the Brussels-Capital Region with a disability resulting in reduced physical capacity of at least 30% or reduced mental capacity of at least 20%.
Rue des Palais 42, 1030 Brussels
Phone: +32 (0)2 800 82 03
Online: www.phare.irisnet.be (FR)
For Dutch speakers
- The 'Brussels Regionaal Overleg Gehandicaptenzorg' (BROG) is a consultation and collaboration agency working in the field of disability care.
The BROG is part of the non-profit association Kenniscenrtrum W(elzijn) W(onen) Z(org), which aims for better welfare, new forms of housing and affordable care for all Brussels citizens, especially for vulnerable people.
Rue de Laeken 76 - b. 2, 1000 Brussels
Phone: +32 (0)2 414 15 85
Online: www.kenniscentrumwwz.be/personen-met-een-handicap-en-inclusie (NL)
- Brussels Aanmeldingspunt voor Personen met een Handicap is the contact point for the Dutch-speaking disabled persons in Brussels.
Rue Royale 294, 1210 Brussels
Phone: +32 (0)2 201 76 43
Online: www.brap.be (NL)
- Kind & Gezin devotes a section on its website to support and care for disabled children (NL).
- Vlaams Agentschap voor Personen met een Handicap (Flemish Agency for Disabled Persons)
Boulevard du Roi Albert II, 37, 1030 Brussels
Phone: +32 (0)2 225 84 11
The section devoted to people with reduced mobility contains comprehensive information on getting around in Brussels.
Information on social and health services in Brussels (FR/NL) presented in the form of an interactive map of the Brussels-Capital Region in French and Dutch is just a few clicks away. A rich source of information for disabled people.
“If you want my space, take my disability too”
Almost all car parks of public and private buildings now have reserved spaces for people with reduced mobility. Only people with a disabled person’s parking card (FR/NL) are permitted to use these spaces. The card is available from the Federal Public Service Social Security, Disabled Persons Directorate General.