Skip to main content
Brussels Capital-Region - Homepage


People with a physical or mental disability have a lot of questions. Where to get allowances? Housing support? What facilities are provided to facilitate use of public transport? What type of school should they go to? In Belgium, competence in disabled persons policy is spread over federal, regional and community level.

Information for disabled persons

For French speakers

  • The Brussels Phare (Personne Handicapée Autonomie Recherchée) service is a directorate of the French Community Commission. It provides information, orientation, help and support to disabled people in the Brussels-Capital Region.
    Who is Phare for? Anyone under 65 years old living in the Brussels-Capital Region with a disability resulting in reduced physical capacity of at least 30% or reduced mental capacity of at least 20%.
    Rue des Palais 42, 1030 Brussels
    Phone: +32 (0)2 800 82 03
    Online: www.phare.irisnet.beExternal link (FR)

For Dutch speakers

  • The 'Brussels Regionaal Overleg Gehandicaptenzorg' (BROG) is a consultation and collaboration agency working in the field of disability care.
    The BROG is part of the non-profit association Kenniscenrtrum W(elzijn) W(onen) Z(org), which aims for better welfare, new forms of housing and affordable care for all Brussels citizens, especially for vulnerable people.
    Rue de Laeken 76 - b. 2, 1000 Brussels
    Phone: +32 (0)2 414 15 85
    Online: link (NL)
  • Brussels Aanmeldingspunt voor Personen met een Handicap is the contact point for the Dutch-speaking disabled persons in Brussels.
    Rue Royale 294, 1210 Brussels
    Phone: +32 (0)2 201 76 43
    Online: (NL)
  • Kind & Gezin devotes a section on its website to support and care for disabled children (NL)External link.
  • Vlaams Agentschap voor Personen met een Handicap (Flemish Agency for Disabled Persons)
    Boulevard du Roi Albert II, 37, 1030 Brussels
    Phone: +32 (0)2 225 84 11
    Online: www.vaph.beExternal link


The section devoted to people with reduced mobility contains comprehensive information on getting around in Brussels.

'Social Brussels'

Information on social and health services in Brussels (FR/NL) presented in the form of an interactive map of the Brussels-Capital Region in French and Dutch is just a few clicks away. A rich source of information for disabled people.

“If you want my space, take my disability too”

Almost all car parks of public and private buildings now have reserved spaces for people with reduced mobility. Only people with a disabled person’s parking card (FR/NL) are permitted to use these spaces. The card is available from the Federal Public Service Social Security, Disabled Persons Directorate General.