You are here: Home / Living in Brussels / Participation in public life / Expressing your opinion

Expressing your opinion

How citizens can contact the authorities, their political representatives and other organisations to ask questions and express their opinion
All citizens are entitled to express their opinion through an association, an ombudsperson or directly to the authorities in question. Some of the ways you can get through to the person you need...

Contact the Brussels Regional Public Service

Almost 1,600 employees, working in six different administrations, in four different locations, manage a whole range of competences in order to offer Brussels citizens and companies a quality service with an eye to sustainable development and our public service's values.

To contact the Brussels Regional Public Service, please fill in the contact form on the website of the BRPS (FR/NL). Moreover, the website will inform you about the workings and news of the BRPS.

Interact with parliamentarians

The Parliament of the Brussels-Capital Region (FR/NL) is a fully-fledged parliamentary assembly composed of 72 French-speaking elected members and 17 Dutch-speaking elected members. You can contact Brussels parliamentarians (FR/NL) through the Regional Parliament’s website.

For French speakers

If you would like to ask a French-speaking member of the Brussels Parliament a question (FR) relating to their area of competence, you can also fill out the form on the website of the Brussels French-speaking Parliament (PFB) (FR).
This website is also a rich source of news and general information about the Parliament.

For Dutch speakers

The e-mailadresses of Dutch-speaking parliamentarians are listed on the Assembly of the Flemish Community Commission website (NL) which provides lots of information on how this institution works and what it does.

Communal ombudspersons

Any citizen or corporation (business firm or association) who feels that any of the communal services (including schools, the police and the CPAS branches) is not functioning as it should can contact the service in question. If the response is felt to be unsatisfactory, some communes have an ombudsperson you can turn to.

Ombudspersons at every level of authority

There is now an ombudsperson’s office at every level of authority. Ombudspersons are also found in some economic sectors (such as banking, insurance and telecoms) and they also exist for public services, like pensions, post and public transport. The various ombudspersons also work together.

If you have a problem with an administration or a service provider:

Visit the Belgian mediators and ombudspersons portal (FR/NL), an initiative of the Concertation Permanente des Médiateurs et Ombudsmans (CPMO). The CPMO is an informal network of all Belgian mediators and ombudspersons for the federal public services, the regions, communities and communes. A number of independent mediators and ombudspersons for the private sector are also members of the CPMO.

A problem on Internet?

eCops is an online Belgian reporting service to which the Internet user can report crimes or abuses committed on or through Internet.

Online mediation via Belmed

You are a private individual and you have a problem with a tradesman…
You are a tradesman and you have a problem with a consumer… 
And you want to solve your problem quickly and at a lower cost.
Belmed will help you find a solution to your dispute.


Any questions about this website