You are here: Home / Living in Brussels / Family and private life / Living together / Separation and divorce

Separation and divorce

Formalities connected with separation and divorce
To ensure that everyone’s rights are respected, a number of formalities need to be completed before you can start separation or divorce proceedings (FR/NL). The notary profession’s website (FR/NL) has information on all forms of separation under Belgian law and can be a major source of help.

Divorce is the competence of the courts. The commune’s only involvement is through the Service de l'Etat civil (General Registrar’s Office), which transcribes the decree of divorce it receives from the clerk of the court.

  • You should contact the Service de l'Etat civil (General Registrar’s Office) in your commune about the administrative formalities that go with separation and divorce.
  • You can ask for a divorce certificate to the commune of your marriage via IRISbox, the online service desk of the administrations of the Brussels-Capital Region.
Any questions about this website